- Many Violent Evil Maniacs Join Swiftly Under Nationalism
- Mary’s Violet Eyes Make Johnny Stand Up Now Period
- Men Very Easily Make A Jug Serve Useful Needs
- Mercury Viewed Earth’s Many Aspects Joyfully Sitting Under Neptune
- Mom Visits Every Monday, Just Stays Until Noon, Period
- Most Volcanoes Errupt Mullberry Jam Sandwhiches Under Normal Pressures
- Most Volcanoes Errupt Mullberry Jam Sandwiches Under Neptune
- Mother Very Thoughtfully Made a Jelly Sandwich Under No Protest
- Murky conVention’s Efforts Mar *Series
- My Very Easy Method Just Set Up Nothing
- My Very Easy Method Just Simplifies Us Naming Planets
- My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming Planets
- My Very Easy Method, Just Say You Know Planets
- My Very Easy Method: Just Sleep Until Noon
- My Very Easy Method: Just SUN
- My Very Easy Mother Just Sat on Uncle Ned!
- My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nachos
- My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nectarines
- My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Noodles
- My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas
- My Very Educated Mother Just Showed Us Nine Planets
- My Very Elderly Mother Just Sat on Uncle Neds Parrot
- My Very Energetic Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles
- My Very Eyes May Just See Under Nine Planets
- Some Mothers Vanish Through Making a believable Jester, so uniforms’ names pride
Mnemonic device to remember the planets orbiting the Sun.
The first letter of each word gives you the first letter of the planets, in order: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto.
In 2006, a committee of astronomers elected that Pluto should not be classified as a planet. They considered how there are dwarf planets such as dwarf planet UB313 also known as Eris; and Pluto has certain similarities with that ‘dwarf planet’ classification rather than ‘planet’ classification. My acrostic sentence tries to mention the context of how the list of planets became what it currently is.
Murky conVention’s Efforts Mar *Series; Jury Set yoUr Next *Planet *Chart *Abridged.
Taking the first prominent letter of each word of that sentence:
M=Mercury [Murky], V=Venus [conVention], E=Earth [Efforts], M=Mars, ‘Series’ sounds like Ceres; J=Jupiter, S=Saturn, U=Uranus, N=Neptune, P=Pluto, Ch=Charon, Ab sounds like UB… [an astronomical prefix for the next big body in space]
[The asterisk is used in places to emphasize the dwarf planets’ words.]
See the other mnemonics for astronomy…